maintaining a vehicle is vital to its safe use . . on test you will be asked two show me /tell me questions.
one question will be asked before moving off, the other when driving the vehicle.
below is the information you need
tell me questions
1. Tell me how you’d check that the brakes are working before starting a journey?.
Brakes should not feel spongy or slack, Brakes should be tested as you set off. Vehicle should not pull to one side.
2. Tell me where you’d find the information for the recommended tyre pressures for this car and how tyre pressures should be checked?.
use Manufacturer’s guide or look at table on sticker on the inside of door frame. use a reliable pressure gauge, check and adjust pressures when tyres are cold, don’t forget spare tyre if fitted, remember to refit valve caps.
3. Tell me how you make sure your head restraint is correctly adjusted so it provides the best protection in the event of a crash?.
The head restraint should be adjusted so the rigid part of the head restraint is at least as high as the eye or top of the ears, and as close to the back of the head as is comfortable. Note: Some restraints might not be adjustable.
4. Tell me how you’d check the tyres to ensure that they have sufficient tread depth and that their general condition is safe to use on the road?.
No cuts and bulges, 1.6mm of tread depth across the central three-quarters of the breadth of the tyre, and around the entire outer circumference of the tyre.
5. Tell me how you’d check that the headlights and tail lights are working?.
Explain how you would operate the switch (turn on ignition if necessary), then walk round the vehicle and check lights work (as this is a ‘tell me’ question, you don’t need to physically check the lights).
6. Tell me how you’d know if there was a problem with your anti-lock braking system?.
Warning light should illuminate if there is a fault with the anti-lock braking system when the engine is running.
7. Tell me how you’d check the direction indicators are working?.
Explain how you would operate the switch (turn on ignition if necessary), and then walk round the vehicle and check all 6 indicator lights are working (as this is a ‘tell me’ question, you don’t need to physically check the lights).
8. Tell me how you’d check the brake lights are working on this car?.
Explain how you would operate the brake pedal, make use of reflections in windows or doors, or ask someone to help.
9. Tell me how you’d check the power-assisted steering is working before starting a journey?.
If the steering becomes heavy, the system may not be working properly. Before starting a journey, 2 simple checks can be made. Gentle pressure on the steering wheel, maintained while the engine is started, should result in a slight but noticeable movement as the system begins to operate. Alternatively turning the steering wheel just after moving off will give an immediate indication that the power assistance is functioning. on some cars there is a warning light on the dash board display which will stay on when engine is running to indicate a fault.
10. Tell me how you’d switch on the rear fog light(s) and explain when you’d use it/them?.
You don’t need to exit the vehicle. Operate switch (turn on dipped headlights and ignition if necessary). Check warning light is on. Explain that they only need to be used if visibility in fog is less than 100 meters
11. Tell me how you switch your headlight from dipped to main beam and explain how you’d know the main beam is on?.
Operate switch (with ignition or engine on if necessary), switch on head lights and check with main beam warning light on dash board.
12. Open the bonnet and tell me how you’d check that the engine has sufficient oil?.
Identify engine dipstick/oil level indicator, describe check of oil level against the minimum and maximum markers.
13. Open the bonnet and tell me how you’d check that the engine has sufficient engine coolant?.
Identify high and low level markings on header tank where fitted or radiator filler cap, and describe how to top up to correct level.
14. Open the bonnet and tell me how you’d check that you have a safe level of hydraulic brake fluid?.
Identify reservoir, check level against high and low markings.
You need to open the bonnet and tell the examiner how you’d do the check if you’re asked question 12, 13 or 14.
Show me questions
all controls mentioned relate to school tuition vehicle -
1.When it’s safe to do so, can you show me how you wash and clean the rear windscreen?
locate and operate the rear windscreen wiper lever and turn to the appropriate position.
2.When it’s safe to do so, can you show me how you wash and clean the front windscreen?
Locate and operate the front windscreen lever and pull lever towards you.
3.When it’s safe to do so, can you show me how you would switch on your dipped headlights?
Locate the light controls on the appropriate lever and switch on head lights (make sure lever is in correct position for dipped beam not main beam)
4.When it’s safe to do so, can you show me how you would set the rear demister?
locate the correct button on dashboard and press to on position.
5.When it’s safe to do so, can you show me how you would operate the horn?
locate the horn located in centre of steering wheel.
6.When it’s safe to do so, can you show me how you would demist the front windscreen?
adjust the air flow on heating controls to windscreen position and turn fan on to full power and turn heater control to hot position.
7.When it’s safe to do so, can you show me how you would open and close the side window?
locate and operate the window control to open and close window.
for more info on the "dashboard lights and controls" press this
When maintaining a car always follow the advice in the vehicle's manufacturer's
handbook and take the recommended safety precautions,